For job applications, a resume is one of the essential parts. A resume is one of the most powerful tools by which you can tell your professional history to the interviewer. For most of the people who are searching for a job, a great resume is what plays the main role between a Choice and a great job.
If your resume is right, you will get replies from many companies you have applied to. A good resume will help you get selected in an interview. If you failed to make a good resume, you would end up waiting for many weeks or maybe months or years before you get a reaction from the company.
Therefore, you need to think about how to write a great resume that will lead to companies HR managers to invite you for an interview. Your resume should be clear, brief, easy to read, and consistent. Read the information I mentioned below on how to write a resume for a job that will help you get invited by companies for an interview.
Different types of Resume writing formats
There are mainly three kinds of formats for resume writing: functional resume format, chronological resume format, and combinational resume format. The job profile for which you are applying as per the level of your experiences will define the choice of your resume.
Three resume writing formats are as follows
1 Chronological logical format
Commonly we can call it reverse resume format. Chronological is one of the most accepted resume formats. These resumes are best for showing the history of your education and work experience.
When to use chronological format
- To represent the progress of your profession over time
- It is used to show the higher flow of your career
2 Functional resume writing format
This kind of resume format is the opposite of that chronological resume format. These types of resume formats are more focused on accomplishments and specific skills. This format is best for projects on freelancers based or workers who are coming after a long work break.
When we can use a functional resume format
- To highlight our top skills or showing those skills
- When going back to a job after a long period
- Changing professions
When not to use a functional resume format
- You are an entry-level applicant who has less experience in the corporate world
- When you are trying to show your work experience in the corporate world
- Lack of professional certifications or skills
3 Combination resume writing layout
The name indicates itself a combination resume layout is the combo of chronological formats and functional format. When you want to show your multiple skills, and your work experience in different areas and you want to represent it in one of the resumes, that time combination format is best. A combination layout is useful when you appear for a post that needs experience in 3-4 fields.
When to use a combination resume writing layout
- When you have years of experience in different fields
- To show your advanced skill in a particular field
When not to use a combination resume layout
- you are an entry-level candidate
- Lack of experience or a well-defined professional set of skills
- When you want to show your educational background
Basics steps of resume writing
- Choose the Best Format and Layout for your resume.
- Mention Your Details and Contact Information.
- Add a professional Objective or summary for your resume.
- Mention your Achievements and your work Experience in your respective fields.
- List your Hard Skills(programming, accountancy, etc.) and soft skills(teamwork, leadership quality, etc.)
- Include your additional details – Hobbies, Languages, etc.
- For job, Ad tailors your information.
- Draft an Impressive Cover Letter.
- Recheck your Resume and Cover Letter.
What is the best layout for resume writing
The layout of the resume is the first thing that the recruiter notices. Is it organized or messy Is resume too long or too short? Is it boring to read?
Here are some must-have things for your resume
- It’s better if you make a two-page resume because the HR manager of the company gets more than 1000+ resumes in one month. They do not need to waste their precious time to go through the whole story of your resume.
- Pick a clear section heading and utilize it for all section headers.
- Enough white-space between the sections.
- Use fonts that are easy to read. Do Overpass, Ubuntu, Roboto, etc. Don’t: Comic Sans.
- Margins of at least 7 inches.
- Paper you are going to use for your resume should be of good quality.
- Pick the best font size of your resume. For normal texts, use 11-12 pt, and for your section title, use 14-16 pt.
What is the best resume file format?
- Normally, PDF formats are best for your resume.
- Pay attention to the ads of the job; some companies ask for resumes in MS word (DOCS or DOC). If they ask you to send a resume in DOC file, you have to send in that format only.
- Avoid formats like PNG or JPG.
Contents of your resume
An essential area of your resume is:
- Personal details and Contact data.
- The objective of your resume.
- Job Experience in your respective field (and Achievements)
- Educational qualification.
- Skills (soft skills and hard skills)
- Additional details- Hobbies, languages you know, Publications, etc.
Personal details and contact data:
- First Name / Last Name.
- Contact Number.
- Email Id.
Not to include in your informational contact section.
- Date of Birth – Don’t include your date of birth in your contact info section because the HR manager does not need to know about your age.
- Email Address that look Unprofessional – Do: email@example.com
The first impression is the last. If you leave your first impression as your bad impression on the recruiter, then chances are there your resume might get rejected. After that, it’s become difficult to alter someone’s view for you. HR going to spends around 6-7 seconds on examining your resume. Yes, it is true; your hours of hard work get only 6 seconds to be noticed. If you are able to manage a good impression, the way you get this is by writing a good objective or conclusion of your resume.
In your resume conclude, you should mention:
- Your experience years
- Your top achievements
How to mention Work experience in a Resume
- Your position in your last job
- Company Name
- Responsibilities and Achievements –
- The date on which you have started working
How to mention Educational qualification on Your Resume
- Name of your Program
- Name of your University
- Years Attended
- GPA(Grade point average)
- Academic achievements
The skills section is also an important area in your resume. Here, you can mention all your top soft skills(teamwork, leadership quality, etc.) and hard skills(programming, accounting, etc.)
Other Important Sections:
Interests and hobbies
Experience in volunteering
Awards and certifications
After completing your resume writing, you have to check whether your resume is highlighting your skills or not and whether your experience is matching the profile for which you are applying for. If you face any of the problems related to resume, such as drafting a resume, do not know how to match your skills with your job profile, and much more. Then you can take help from our experts. Our experts provide you the resume in a well-structured format, and it will help you to impress your recruiter too. We also provide you the instant resume help or Australian assignment help so that you can focus on your interview preparation instead of writing or editing the resume.